Do you love Mondays? Sundays & Mondays are my favorite days of the week. I love a fresh start, a clean slate, like nobody's binnus. It's like every 7 days, I get a New Year's level of focus and motivation. I get to re-focus and set my intentions.
You've heard a million different people talk about setting goals, writing them down. Making sure that they're S.M.A.R.T (Specific. Measurable. Attainable. Relevant. Time-Based). I totally agree with all of these things and practice them regularly, but I'd like to talk about a different kind of goal today.
I want to talk about the goals that you have for your daily life. What you want your life to FEEL like. What you want your daily experience to be.
- Do you want a peaceful home? OR do you enjoy a level of controlled chaos?
- Do relationships come easily to you? Or do you tend to hide out & neglect relationships when life gets crazy?
- Do you push self care to the bottom of the list because you can never find time?
These are just a few examples, but they're especially important for busy women & moms to consider. Why? Because women tend to be emotionally driven, and we have an idea or concept of how we'd like our life to feel. However we also tend to take care of everyone around us, get caught up in the day-to-day operations of our life, and before you know it...it's Friday evening. You have no idea what your priorities even were this week because you were just trying to catch up with the hurricane that is your life and maybe shower a few times.
Each Sunday evening or Monday morning, I look at my calendar, figure out when practices, rehearsals, and appointments are. Fill in what work tasks, household tasks etc need to be done. If I'm really on my game, I might even plan out some meals. But MOST importantly? I look at my goals (business, personal, fitness, and those daily life goals that I mentioned above). Sprinkled throughout my week, I write down actionable steps that I can take that are going to help me live more in alignment with the kind of life I'd like to live.
Say my goal is to spend more time with the people in my life. I might schedule in things such as:
- Read to the kids for 20 minutes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings.
- Visit with grandpa on Monday and Friday after lunch for 1 hour.
- Text friend and get a dinner on the calendar.
- Leave my phone in the kitchen and spend time with my Husband on the nights when I'm not working late.
In writing these things down, I'm accomplishing a few things.
First, I'm scheduling it in. Ya'll know FULL WELL that if you don't write it down, there's a much bigger chance that life is just gonna take over and eat up all of your "spare time."
Second, I'm engaging the left & right hemispheres of my brain. This is like a system hack where you can trigger your consciousness into actively looking for & pursuing opportunities to make your goals an actual priority rather than just a "hopefully it'll happen." Read this fascinating article about what happens when you actually write your goals down.
Lastly, you're taking some control over your life rather than just hoping and wishing things will suddenly calm down and slow down enough.
Sisters- Time waits for no one. Whether you have a gaggle of kids, or a busy career, or some other version of modern womanhood...chances are you're living a pretty intensely busy life. You can let your life happen to you, or you can starting doing this simple weekly practice of writing down what's important to you and scheduling it in.
There's not necessarily a right or wrong choice here...but recognize that it IS a choice. If you choose to not pursue life with intention, then by default you're choosing to hope for the best. How has that worked out for you so far?
Hit reply and tell me what's important to you right now. I want to cheer you on in your big AND small goals.
Here are some of my focuses right now:
- Create a peaceful environment in our home (things get crazy up in here ya'll. There's, like, hella kids.)
- Be able to confidently and enjoyably interact in large groups of people (introvert problems).
- Crush a half-marathon.
- I also have business/career goals, but I''ll leave them out of this point since we're talking about more personal stuff right now. Let me know if you'd like to talk more about this!
I hope you found this first volume of Mom Church Monday to be helpful!